Friday, May 30, 2014

I am avoiding having my picture taken

Katie, I am amazed at your beautiful pictures. You are so good at this. I remember getting some film developed (weird) out of my camera and when I got the pictures back they were about half pictures of Katie taking selfies with an extreme closeup fish-eye of her nasal passages. I remember I showed mom and she said, "Oh, she did it again"-like you had kamikaze-ed multiple rolls of film this way.

yer a goof.

I am challenging myself to not be feared of the camera this summer. I am terrible at both taking pictures and at having my picture taken. BUT I want to be better.

I guess the first problem is that I am never prepared. I never have my camera ready, and I feel like I have no proof of vast section of my kids lives. But even when I do take pictures they never really turn out that cute.

Someone said to me recently that people who don't like pictures taken of themselves think that they are a lot prettier than they actually are. Well, that was sort of rude and I put that person's name in my black book, but it is not like I think I am a stunner in my head.  (I guess I think it would be nice if I was). I sort of do feel horrified when I see pictures of myself. 

Here is the thing.  I am never in pictures. In our families' photo history, I barely exist. That doesn't seem right.


I am currently high on dayquil

You should make this recipe and eat it. I am not sure if I should make it all the time every day, or never make it again because it is all I want to eat. It is Hawaiian Butter mochi. The only funky thing you need is rice flour. The recipe says Mochiko- but that is hard to find. Plain old Rice flour should be at most grocery stores. It might be in the healthy food section.

Butter Mochi
http://tworedbowls.com/2013/06/18/hawaiian-food-part-3-butter-mochi/

                                         
Butter Mochi
2 cups milk
1 can coconut milk
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups (16 oz or one box) mochiko flour
2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
2. Whisk together milk, coconut milk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla extract in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, sift together sugar, mochiko flour, and baking powder.
3. Gently mix together wet and dry ingredients until fully incorporated.  There may be a few lumps, but if mixed for a few more seconds should dissolve on their own.
4. Pour into a lightly greased 9×12 baking dish.
5. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees, until brown at the edges and golden brown on top. Sometimes it needs extra time, especially if you like the edges to be particularly crispy. The batter will also rise significantly, but will settle after cooling.



3 comments:

  1. Whatever you are great at taking pics. I have seen them! anyway I have always felt the same about having my picture taken until recently. Now I take a lot of pictures with me in them on my own camera. Most of the time I delete them all. Occasionally there is one that doesn't send me into a pit of depression. Also, I hate a lot of pictures of me at the time they are taken. Almost all the time when I look back through old pics I don't mind them so much. That recipe looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know- I guess I feel really bummed lately that I missed out on being in some pictures. I just have to say "this is how I am, this is what I look like and if you don't like it, people haters, it is your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. seriously- the recipe is so good. You will not regret making it. We will be eating a lot of it this summer. I promise.

    ReplyDelete